Sunday, September 6, 2015

Lifeproof iPad mini case: a tale of sorrow

Back in January I bought a lifeproof case for my iPad mini and my iPhone 6. The sorrow of the 6 case can be found here.

Let me start by saying that I loved my iPad mini case. It had this super cool cover that kept the screen fairy protected from scratches.  It couldn't stand up on it's own but hey other than that no complaints. There was a cool strap (remember the strap it comes back to haunt me) so I could put it on my shoulder like a purse. Best of all it was water proof. Having a 2 year old in the house means that everything being water proof is usually just a good precaution to take.

Things were fine till one day the 2 year old decided it would be super cool to pull out the yellow seal from the flap that opened to protect the charging port. I found it and put it back. I even super glued it back into place and she removed it again. I decided whatever it isn't like the iPad was going near a toilet or pool it will be just fine. Then the cover broke off. I paid $35.99 on amazon for the cover and $44.95 for the case. It just falling apart in 8 months seemed ridiculous. Since my case no longer passed the water proof test (and either did my phone) I placed a claim on all 3 items.



Guess what! They did not ship a replacement cover. They also shipped the WRONG iPad case. I noticed the cover was missing as soon as they sent the shipment so I sent in an email inquiring about the cover. The representative noticed the error and decided to send out a mini case, they even overnighted it!

So here I am with my 2nd iPad mini case. The world is a happy place. It is water proof and all shiny and new. Still no cover. I sent 3 emails inquiring about it. No luck. I filed another claim and nothing.

Wednesday I asked my dear son to go get it for me from upstairs. He decided to grab it by the strap and it hit my husbands steering wheel and pedal stand. The impact hit on the case. You know that case that is supposed to be shock proof. GUESS WHAT.. it isn't.

See that TINY scratch next to the home button??


It caused this:


Rest in peace sweet iPad. You lasted a whole 2 years. At $400 that is $0.55 per day. I supposed I got my $0.55 a day out of you. (To repair the iPad it would have cost $150 at an aftermarket not apple store)

I gave Lifeproof a call and spoke with the most amazing representative. He was great. Unfortunately they don't guarantee the shock proof status. He sent me out a new case and FINALLY the defective cover replacement.

We drove to the apple store where they gave me $100 for my broken iPad. I bought a new iPad air 2 because my husband is amazing and takes wonderful care of me. We had planned to buy a new iPad in the future (in a few months). The plan was for dear son to get the min and me a new iPad since Osmo was on it's way and that would be super cool to use on a larger device. Well now we will just be sharing the snazzy new iPad which will be guarded and handled with kid gloves.

So here I am with the husband being given the brand new iPad mini case and beautiful cover. A Lifeproof case I can't use and an iPad that is all naked.


Can you feel me twitching from it's lack of safety?? Fact of the matter is no matter what case you put your iPad in is it really ever "safe". Lifeproof is supposed to be shock proof and it wasn't. It definitely wasn't toddler proof.. oh wait it was the 6 year old who broke it. It has apple care and I hope that will be enough. (*note* the mini did not have apple care since it started it's life as my husbands and he dislikes things like apple care.)



#ipad #ipadmini #lifeproof 



No comments:

Post a Comment